[reportlab-users] ReportLab / Python 3000

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Mar 11 17:01:45 EDT 2008

Andy Robinson wrote:

> Prompted by Dinu's reminder on releases, I would like to get some

> opinions on Python 3.0.

> I'm curious to know if anyone here has plans to move rapidly onto

> Python 3.0? It's now in alpha 2 and slated for release this summer,

> although not many other libraries are following suit.

> We also have plans for a refactored version of our own libraries,

> which would break old code and perhaps change some significant

> concepts and which might take a year to mature, so one obvious

> approach is to do that in Python 3.0. We would then have a lot less

> code to port as we could start with just a small core.

> We could possibly also have a totally new package name so it could

> coexist (any better ideas than "import rl3k"?)

> Don't panic - we would of course maintain the 2.x releases with bug

> fixes and small improvements, as we have been doing for the last

> couple of years, because all our own solutions run on it and it would

> take years to migrate our existing customers.

Let's see, what am I running now?

C:\Dev>python
Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32

C:\Dev>

Not quite state of the art, eh? Upgrading is a disease, often causing
more problems than it solves. I've learned to abide by the old saw, "if
it ain't broke, don't fix it." It will be a good long time before I
move to Python 3.

On the other hand, since my patronage has represented exactly $0
(roughly equivalent to £0) of revenue to ReportLab over the years, I'm
probably not the audience you need to please.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.