[reportlab-users] Release policy

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Mar 11 16:27:04 EDT 2008

On 11/03/2008, Dinu Gherman <gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hi,

> I'm investigating the release dates of former RL distributions. Unfor-

> tunately the relevant webpage [1] is not very helfpul here, giving

> the same date for all releases, 2007-06-08. From looking at the 2.1

> manifest file I conclude it was released on 2007-05-07, ten months

> back.

Well spotted - we had not realised this. We moved everything to a new
server a couple of months ago, and there is a little macro in the page
template which looks at the file system date and generates the info in
brackets, so it's giving the wrong dates.

> Since then many features were added. Is there any statement on

> a more or less predictable release policy?

Yes. We will go for the "less predictable release policy". ;-)

We will aim for a proper 2.2 release in late April or early May.
Concurrent with this I would like to rebuild the relevant pages of our
site. The worst case should generally be once a year, but if there
are major additions we would increase the frequency, anything up to
quarterly.

I'm sorry about the long gap. We've been working very, very hard on
client projects and hosted solutions, and trying for months to hire
enough people to keep up with demand. Fortunately this week we have
taken on some new people with good python experience - but we need 4-6
weeks before they are up to speed (and to finish a bunch of
end-of-financial-year projects) before we have the bandwidth to tackle
a public release and the docco that needs to go with it.

Best Regards,

--
Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect