[reportlab-users] Problem with a class derived from Table

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Jan 22 13:24:15 EST 2008

shawn a wrote:

> I have a custom table class whose base is Table. When i pass in data

> rows and the table can render itself on ONE page there is no issue.

> But when i pass in a larger data rows list that need to split onto

> other pages i get an exception.

> For the purpose of this email I've stripped the custom table class down to this:

> from reportlab.platypus import Table

> class MyTable(Table):

> def __init__(self,data,**kw):

> Table.__init__(self,data,**kw)

> then in my code

> t = MyTable(data,style=s[0])

> I am getting the following exception when the table needs to splitByRows:

> Traceback (most recent call last):

> ... File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/reportlab/platypus/tables.py",

> line 860, in _splitRows

> splitByRow=splitByRow)

> TypeError: __init__() takes exactly 2 non-keyword arguments (4 given)

> To recap my custom table class throws the above exception if the list

> data is to large and the table needs to split across pages. It works

> fine if the table can be rendered onto one page

> OR i use the Table class exclusively:(like so)

> t = Table(data,style=s[0])

Right. This seems pretty clear. The statement that explodes, line 860
in tables.py, is calling the Table constructor, but it's passing some of
the arguments positionally and some by keyword. Your derived class
assumes that all of the arguments, except the first, will always be by
keyword. You should be able to fix this via something like this:

class MyTable(Table):
def __init__( self, data, *pos, **kw ):
Table.__init__(self, data, *pos, **kw )

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com