[reportlab-users] Generating PNGs/JPGs instead of PDFs?

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Dec 31 21:09:59 EST 2008

Erik Wickstrom wrote:

> Hi all,

> First, Happy New Year!

> I need to output some reports as PNGs or JPGs in addition to PDFs. Can

> ReportLab render to these other formats?

Last I checked, no.

> If not, any suggestions on how I

> can do this?

I have been fighting this for about 2 years.
use reportlab to generate the pdf, then convert that to an image. it's easy to
do at the command prompt, but trying to do it reliably in python gets tedious.

PythonMagickWand is python bindings for ImageMagick.

http://www.procoders.net/?p=121

last year's version caused segfaults, so I went with shelling out to
ghostscript: look at line 42 badge_png(ds):

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~carl-personnelware/web2conf/badges/annotate/head%3A/controllers/badge.py

then look at line 82 def badge_png2(ds). that would be really nice if it wasn't
for

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/poppler-python/+bug/312462

TypeError: document_new_from_data() argument 1 must be string without null
bytes, not str

Carl K