[reportlab-users] Can I install reportlab toolkit on shared hosting??

Paul Barrass paul.barrass at safeonlinebilling.com
Fri Dec 12 05:58:24 EST 2008

Mark Willard wrote:

> Since I am on shared hosting on Unix OS, i am wondering if I can put

> those files in my hosting space? Help!.

Hi,

Short answer is 'yes', longer answer is 'maybe'....

You should certainly be able to place the files in the shared space you
have - but it might not do you much good, if the host doesn't have the
right support in place, and/or your host doesn't allow you to install
extra software. The best thing to do is check with your host, they may
already have it installed or be willing to install it as a shared
resource - if they're not, but will allow you to install it locally,
you'll need to make sure they have Python and PIL installed (not sure
what other dependencies there are).

I assume the setup.py has options for where to install, so you can
configure it to install to your ~/usr or wherever, if not - I'm fairly
sure it will work if you just copy the files to somewhere Python can
find them (either from the tarball or from an installed copy on your
dev/local server).

You may have problems with compiling _rl_accell, as I think compilers
are often removed from live-on-the-web hosts as a security precaution,
though again compiling locally and copying should be fine if you have a
compatible compiler.

Paul Barrass.