[reportlab-users] Python 3000

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Fri Dec 5 05:55:04 EST 2008

Robin Becker:

> The main problem I found during my early efforts was that we have

> fairly optimised code for writing out the actual PDF. Unfortunately

> that code makes lots of assumptions about the various strings that

> come from the canvas which are broken by having those strings in

> unicode form. Effectively we need to convert everything to bytes for

> output and there are a lot of places where it's not obvious what

> encoding is intended. I think we need a rewrite of the stuff in

> pdfbase.

Maybe there is something to learn from pyPdf which already has
an alpha version for Python 3.0? (To be honest, I haven't tested
it yet, but I've just added that to my todo list)

http://mathieu.fenniak.net/python-30a1-support-in-pypdf-and-pg8000/

The website seems to be pretty slow, though...

Regards,

Dinu