[reportlab-users] Python 3000

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Dec 4 13:47:30 EST 2008

Dirk Holtwick wrote:

> I can fully understand your thoughts about this. Python 3000 will need

> a lot of time to take over from Python 2.x and especially the need of

> keeping two development versions is bad news for almost all Python

> projects.

Yes, but this is true of any incompatible upgrade. I, for one, think
the Python 2 -> 3 transition has been handled pretty well. There have
been excellent documents on the Python web site for years telling people
exactly how the transition was going to go, and suggesting ways to
ameliorate the pain.

I think it's just amazing that Python 3 was basically conceived,
architected, debated, designed, developed, beta tested, and released,
while in the same period of time Perl 6 has made almost no measurable
progress. (Yes, I know that's not technically correct, but it's a good
sound bite. So sue me. ;)

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.