[reportlab-users] KeepInFrame Shrinkage

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Aug 26 08:46:46 EDT 2008

Philippe Robitaille wrote:

> Hi All:

> Attached is a sample where the KeepInFrame was not invoked (No_Shrink_micro_calendar.pdf). It is the bulletin shaded in blue. As you can see, it is nothing more than a few para's of text set in a frame of about 3.5 inches. All appears fine and well.

> Also attached is a sample where the KeepInFrame shrinkage yields ridiculously small content (Shrink_micro_calendar.pdf). The only difference between the two samples is that I introduced an image at top of the former to force the bulletin down and onto a new frame.

> Any thoughts?

> Regards,

> phil robitaille

The problem with your second example is that there was a small amount of space
at the end of the frame into which a non-zero height object could fit. Since the
keepInFrame could fit there it did and because the content was actually quite
large a high shrinkage was required. I'm not actually sure why you're using the
keepInFrame thing here instead of a normal set of paragraphs. If you really want
to use the keepInFrame then you probably need to ensure it has a certain minimum
space available using one of the various condition checking flowables.