[reportlab-users] KeepInFrame Shrinkage

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Sat Aug 23 03:24:31 EDT 2008

2008/8/22 Philippe Robitaille <philippe.robitaille at sheridanc.on.ca>:

> Hello:

> Secondly, I am wondering if you should not consider another form of action for KeepInFrame. If you have a flowable with a dozen lines of text, it might be reasonable to offer a "reduce leading" action as well. And of course there might be a "tighten kerning" action although this does not seem to be a primitive supported at all. All good things in time, I suppose.

We don't actually reduce the font size. We actually 'scale the
coordinates' and try again to flow in the ext, or whatever is there.
Thus, text reflows, but fixed-width tables and images also get scaled
down to fit. We also try this in a fairly dumb manner, reducing 10%
each time until there is no more error. This avoids us having to work
out special shrinking rules separately for each kind of flowable.

Can you explain further the special case it fails to work for, or post
a brief example? Maybe there is something in your content which we
can point out.

- Andy
--
Andy Robinson