[reportlab-users] Black Squares in PythonPoint

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Sat Oct 6 06:42:20 EDT 2007

On 06/10/2007, joe kim <joe.kim at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Andy,

> Thanks for the rapid response. I tried changing it manually. That

> did not work. I also checked out the latest from:

3 more tests:
1. are you using the MacOS PDF viewer, or Adobe Reader? Is it
possible to try the file on Adobe Reader?

2. Could you execute reportlab/test/test_pdfbase_encodings.py, and
look at the generated test_pdfbase_encodings_utf8.pdf? It should have
various copyright, trademark and french accent characters. If you see
them, that's a relief and suggests we are encoding things properly.

3. Likewise, run reportlab/lib/codecharts.py and look at
codecharts.pdf. I see a number of round circles in the middle chart,
which look like bullets.

It's actually possible that we are displaying the 'notdef' character
in each font - most systems have something they display when they see
a character they cannot handle, and sometimes it's a circle and
sometimes a square. If you see bullets in (3), you could try working
out the UTF8 code for those characters and using that.

We can re-test on a Mac in the office next week, but not at the weekend.

- Andy

--
Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect