[reportlab-users] OT: PDF/A (was: RE: Validating PDF (and more) with JHOVE)

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Oct 2 11:00:11 EDT 2007

On 02/10/2007, Henning von Bargen <H.vonBargen at t-p.com> wrote:

> This is slightly off-topic.

> Are there plans to support the PDF/A format with ReportLab?

ReportLab will do it as soon as someone is willing to contribute
substantially to our time to implement it (maybe 3-4 weeks work) - or
to contribute a patch. It's not quite as easy as it sounds. Many
have asked, but nobody is willing to pay more than 0 Euros so far, so
it goes on our ever-growing list of "things to do if we have a really
quiet month"!

Considering the number of large university and government projects
which must be gearing up for this, I would hope one of them could
provide some developer time to work with us on this. We're happy to
try and mentor people through making the changes.

- Andy

> Last week I visited the "Pre-DMS-Messe-Seminar: Einführung in PDF/A",

> a seminar held in german language one day before the DMS expo in Cologne.

> PDF/A is the upcoming standard format for long-term archival

> of "printable" documents, long-term meaning 30 years and longer.

> The format is based on PDF 1.4, with some additional rules,

> i.e. *all* fonts have to be embedded or subsetted, and a PDF/A

> documents has to identify itself as such.

> For more information, visit http://www.pdfa.org

> There are commercial validators for PDF/A on the market.

> It would be a great if ReportLab could be switched into a

> PDF/A compliance mode when generating PDF.

> Henning

Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect
ReportLab Europe Ltd.
165 The Broadway, Wimbledon, London SW19 1NE, UK
Tel +44-20-8544-8049