[reportlab-users] Problem on Mac OSX

Reed O'Brien reed.l.obrien at nasa.gov
Tue Oct 2 09:07:18 EDT 2007

#download and untar the jpeg library
#see here for location http://www.ijg.org/
curl http://path/to/jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz | tar zxf -

#change directory to
cd jpeg-6b

#run configure
./configure CFLAGS='-fPIC'
# PIC should be fine even not on 64bit I think

#run make
make

#Run make install
sudo make install

#run ranlib
ranlib libjpeg.a

#copy the lib file to lib
cp libjpeg.a /usr/local/lib

#copy headers to include
cp *.h /usr/local/include

#make this your real python
PYTHON_COMMAND="/path/to/your/python"

#get and untar the PIL source
curl http://path/to/Imaging-1.1.6.tar.gz | tar zxf -

# cd
cd Imaging-1.1.6

# copy setup out of it's way
mv setup.py setup.py.tmp

# set up a replacement command
# you can do edit setup.py by hand if you wish
SED_CMD="s|JPEG_ROOT = None|JPEG_ROOT = libinclude(\"/usr/local/lib
\")|; s|ZLIB_ROOT = None|ZLIB_ROOT = libinclude(\"/usr/local/lib\")|;"

#replace the stock jpg locations with the new ones you made
cat setup.py.tmp | sed -e "$SED_CMD" > setup.py

#build it
$PYTHON_COMMAND setup.py build_ext -i

#test it
$PYTHON_COMMAND selftest.py