[reportlab-users] easy_install reportlab

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Fri Nov 30 13:41:59 EST 2007

Carl Karsten:

> Sounds like a +0 ?

> It does install an .egg.

> I see easy_install as a tool for end users that have 0.0 need to

> even look at the source. Anytime I become interested in source, I

> normally track down the source control source (csv, svn...).

After all, it's called easy_install, not easy_develop. I think
if people would offer their software in multiple distribution
formats, that would leave others a choice, but I fear that every-
body is lured to believe that easy_install is the easiest_thing
you can do, and we'll end up with one_more_thing we're forced
to care about, because it can't please everybody.

Nonetheless, I'd appreciate if ReportLab became a better citizen
in the distribution world. If that means having it install_easy
in addition to the usual tarballs, then I'm +1.

> speaking of lazy, I totally endorse that position. part of my

> motivation is so that reportlab gets installed automatically when it

> is a dependency of something else being easy_installed.

I, too, love getting things done (TM) automatically, but I'm very
curious to read Andy's comments about the issue. ;-)

Regards,

Dinu