[reportlab-users] Chasing pyHnj error

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Sun Nov 25 05:05:08 EST 2007

Robin Becker:

> for what it's worth I get this behaviour in win32

> c:\usr\home\robin>python -c "import pyHnj; pyHnj.Hyphen()"

> Traceback (most recent call last):

> File "<string>", line 1, in <module>

> SystemError: error return without exception set

> so it's probably an error that is in the code now. It's probably an

> allocation routine error; python became much stricter recently

> about which allocation/free routines are used. We haven't been

> using pyHnj at all, but it used to work so I suspect it's the

> environment that changed. I'll take a look in the morning.

These are two different errors we talk about. The SystemError you
get on win32 and I get on a PowerBook is perhaps not the best name
for an exception to raise (maybe IOError would be better). But what
I get on a MacBook Pro is a Deallocation error (not a Python excep-
tion) when terminating the script or calling
pyHnj.Hyphen("hyphen.mashed").hyphenate() multiple times... It's the
latter one that confuses me, because I'm getting it only on a (Intel)
Mac Book Pro, but not on a (PowerPC) PowerBook.

I would like to know if anybody else with an Intel Mac can reproduce
this?

Regards,

Dinu