[reportlab-users] More bugs with Paragraph, with underlined links

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Mon Nov 5 16:08:11 EST 2007

Hi,

a document in which I had underlined and non-underlined links in
paragraphs
caused me some headeaches and I tracked it down to a bug in
Paragraph. It
might actually be quite related to the one I reported recently.
(Well, in
the absence of ticket numbers you must find out yourself... ;-)

Basically, if a string contains only a link, it will be non-
underlined, but
if it contains anything else before or after the link, the link
itself will
be underlined. I'm attaching the Python and PDF file for illustration.

In fact, this makes me issue a feature request since I know enough cases
where I'd like <link href="spam">eggs</link> to *not* be rendered as an
underlined word "eggs" in a paragraph. So I opt for a syntax like this:

<link href="spam" underline="true/false">eggs</link>

with underline="true" being the default. This would be backward
compatible
and I could have non-underlined URLs, too, which seem to become
predominent
in the web, anyway, and which make a paragraph much more readable,
parti-
cularly when printed.

Of course, first the bug should be fixed...

Regards,

Dinu

PS: RL 2.1 used for testing, I don't think SVN ist any better.