[reportlab-users] pdf/a ability

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Mar 28 04:03:09 EDT 2007

Jan Stavel wrote:

> Hello,

> I like to produce pdf documents that confirm PDF/A (archive) standard.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/A

> I do not know details for creating pdf documents.

> Is reportlab module able to produce pdf/a compliant documents?

> Whether yes, please, outline me a way to do it.

Not yet. It would be quite an easy addition but we have not added the
XMP metadata yet (XML packet to say who the author is). You get close
now if you embed your own fonts; PDF/A is mostly about "not doing
certain things" in your own scripts.

We had enquiries about adding this on a commercial basis, but I ever
heard back from the company who asked. That means it's "when we get
around to it" or "when someone submits a patch". There's a chance in
May when we hope to do a big release.

- Andy