[reportlab-users] Seeking Example of Grouped Database Report

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Mar 5 18:21:26 EST 2007

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Andy Robinson wrote:

> Sadly I'm not aware of any.

Andy,

I'm rather surprised as almost all of my database use (going back to dBASE
II on CP/M) required grouped reports, but there it is.

> PythonReports adds a higher level specification language to define groups

> and nesting. I've tried it and it works.

I installed all the pieces and I'm trying to understand how to use it. The
docs are sparse, and the one example -- with a MySQL database file --
doesn't work here. But, the nested groups is what caught my eye, so I will
have to dig in and learn it. If you have any old test cases or example .prp
files, I'd like to see them.

> Dabo is a framework for building GUIs which includes a report designer on top

> of ReportLab:

> http://dabodev.com/documentation

As Paul McNett will confirm, I tried to use the ReportDesigner from within
Dabo and ended up wrapped tightly around the axle for about three days. I
think that I'm allergic to GUI shells that try to protect me from that nasty
ol' code underneath. After a serious try of using wxGlade I scraped what I
had done and rewrote it in straight wxPython. I also tried SPE and Boa, but
fled back to emacs. :-) So, it's not the tools, but my preference to keep my
hands on the keyboard and type.

Thanks very much,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Accelerator(TM)