[reportlab-users] reportlab-users Digest, Vol 36, Issue 5

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Sat Jul 7 16:23:21 EDT 2007

On 07/07/07, Dhara Shah <dharashah05 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello every one i am looking for somekind of DOC which helps to understand

> the process of reportlab for create PDF from RML

Your founder Fabien Pinckaers wrote such a document in his thesis
which covers "Tiny RML". That's the only document in existence on the
subject. If you read French here it is...
http://openreport.org/download/memoire.pdf

The RML2PDF code is our proprietary software and Report Markup
Language(tm) is our proprietary language, and it's ReportLab's unique
capability, so of course ReportLab doesn't publish how we do it.
People who officially want this capability are supposed to license it
from us, or let us host their document generation ;-)

Tiny, your employer, is using our trademark without permission, and
have not acknowledged any of my emails in the last few years asking
them to give us proper credit on the http://openreport.org pages, and
to make clear the differences between their implementation and ours.
This is in contrast to the author of z3c.rml who went to great lengths
to work out a way of cooperating. So, I am not particularly
inclined to help Tiny copy our work.

If you want to enhance the reporting capabilities of Tiny ERP, In my
opinion you'd be better to forget RML and concentrate on Python code
to directly render the objects in Tiny ERP to PDF - at which point you
could expect a lot of help from this mailing list.

Best Regards,

--
Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery