[reportlab-users] TTF fonts and PFB files

Oleh Slabkiy oleh.slabkiy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 04:44:48 EDT 2007

Hello,

Can you explain me, please, one thing. I use True Type Font Arial
Unicode MS for generating PDF and charts. Using of TTF fonts needs PFB
files. I don't understand why do we need to use PFB files if we
already have TTF file? As I understand, PFB files uses for Type 1
fonts, but not for True Type, but when there are no this files it
gives me an error, that it cannot set font Times-Roman (pay your
attention, that it says about Times-Roman when I use Arial). And if
this files are necessary, which of them do we need? There are 16
files:

_a______.pfb
_ab_____.pfb
_abi____.pfb
_ai_____.pfb
_eb_____.pfb
_ebi____.pfb
_ei_____.pfb
_er_____.pfb
cob_____.pfb
cobo____.pfb
com_____.pfb
coo_____.pfb
Sy______.pfb
Zd______.pfb
Zx______.pfb
Zy______.pfb

I need to make a possibility to generate any symbols of any languages
(latin, cyrylic, asian, chines, japan, anything else...)

Thank you for answer.