[reportlab-users] Getting started

Justin Fagnani-Bell justin2 at fagnani.com
Fri Jan 26 15:08:47 EST 2007

Hi,

I'm using Django for an invoicing system, and trying to use ReportLab
to print out order and invoices, etc.

Right now I'm not using platypus, because most of the elements on an
invoice are fixed position. I've run into a couple of issues where
I'm not sure how to deal with them.

The first is with small fields of text the are supposed to wrap to
two or three lines, like the street part of an address. Paragraph
seems to be the only built-in object that does wrapping, but I need
to make sure that it doesn't expand beyond two lines. I don't
immediately se a way to do that.

The other issue is with the invoice line items. If there are too many
to fit on a page, then I need to create a second page that's
different that the first. I assume I'll need platypus for this, but
will it automatically paginate for me, and how can I tell it how much
space there is for line items on each page type? Basically the first
page has a different header and footer than other pages.

I'm also interested in hearing if there is an easier approach than
hand coding the layout in Python. I'd love to be able to design the
form with an SVG aware vector program and then fill it out and render
it to PDF with ReportLab. Is there any way to do such a thing? If I
could even specify the layout in a declarative form, like XML, but
hopefully a little nicer than XSL:FOP, and fill it out and render
with ReportLab, that would be better.

Thanks for any advice,
Justin