[reportlab-users] encoding errors

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Jan 23 09:33:38 EST 2007

Dirk Holtwick wrote:

> Hi Robin,

> thanks for the quick fix of the Unicode problem. As I see you still

> print error messages to STDERR in pdfdoc.py without further Informations

> about what "s" is or contains:

> import sys

> print >>sys.stderr, 'Error in',repr(s)

> Wouldn't it make sense to use the "logging" module which is present in

> Python since version 2.3? Then also warnings could be implemented in an

> easier and future proof way.

> Bye, Dirk

I'm not sure if we're ready to do logging; a lot of our stuff is web server
based. Since the raise by default prints to sys.stderr, I'd rather the exception
decoration went there too; then apache or whatever can take stderr and add it to
its own error logs.

I regard systems without stdout/stderr as the errant ones. Presumably the errant
systems can reintroduce logging by capturing those in past proof way; the win32
com stuff does that so services etc can write to a window/file without too much
trouble.