[reportlab-users] Small errors in reportlab code

Dirk Holtwick holtwick at spirito.de
Wed Jan 17 11:24:24 EST 2007

Robin Becker schrieb:

> What are small errors? I suppose you're saying that eclipse's python mode is

> detecting what it thinks are errors. Surely no syntax error should be allowed,

> but if there are any obvious logic errors please let us know.

Hi Robin,

here some examples from the recent SVN trunk:

platypus/tables.py:
line 74: "gettattr" instead of "getattr"
line 901: "op" not defined

pdfbase/pdfdoc.py
line 608: "self" missing
line 1537: "PDFDestinationFitBV" not defined

and so on...

> The chances of my aged hands learning any editor other than vim/vi are in a

> neigborhood of zero.

... I agree, but with complex code some help from the editor is welcome
I think ...

> When we started on the path to making the code less latin1 only I believe the

> decision was made to let no errors pass silently. The toolkit is fairly low

> level; it is supposed to allow textual strings to be unicode/str. If str then we

> assume it's utf8. Higher level processors can then convert to utf8/unicode as

> they please.

You are right, better one gets a notification of an encoding error than
not. I think I have to care for correct encodings on my side of the code.

Thanks.

Dirk