[reportlab-users] embed fonts in an existing pdf

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 01:15:00 EST 2007

Hi folks,

I've got a large collection of existing pdf documents that use some
non-standard fonts. They work fine in our office but we need to be
able to distribute them to users who don't have the font installed.

The obvious solution is to create the pdfs with the fonts embedded in
the first place. But these pdfs can't easily be recreated from their
sources so we need a way to embed all non-standard fonts into the
existing pdfs.

I was looking for a tool that could
- easily be scripted/batch processed .. a python library sounds perfect
- can open an existing pdf,
- find all unembedded, non-standard fonts
- output a new pdf with all the non-standard fonts embedded

Can ReportLab do something like this? Any examples or hints on getting started?

--
Matthew T. Perry
http://www.perrygeo.net