[reportlab-users] Using Mac and TrueType fonts with renderPM

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Sun Jan 7 19:38:52 EST 2007

Ka-Ping Yee wrote:

> Hello,

> I just went through many steps and some sleuthing to figure out

> how to get renderPM to properly produce a PNG image containing

> strings drawn in a Macintosh font, and I'd like to contribute

> my notes here. I hope they help someone.

Sorry about your epic journey!

I'm pretty sure you don't need a Type 1 font to render a TrueType one;
my colleague Robin should be able to verify what's needed tomorrow or on
Tuesday - I don't have access to a Mac at the moment.

It's entirely possible we have some stuff wrong with the output
encodings of fonts on the Mac, as none of us work regularly on that
platform and (to my knowledge). If you've been misled by old or wrong
documentation about the Mac, I'm sorry about this and please let us know
where.

Can you execute reportlab\graphics\renderPM.py, browse to
reportlab\graphics\pmout\index.html, and look at "Drawing13" which tries
to render some TrueType fonts? If something looks badly wrong, please
email the bitmap here. Or if it fails, please tell us what it does on
your Mac...

Thanks,

Andy Robinson