[reportlab-users] Dimensions, line lengths

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Fri Jan 5 20:54:44 EST 2007

Tim Roberts wrote:

> Michael Hipp wrote:

>> The program below is a hacked-up version of what appears in the 2.0

>> User's Guide section 5.2 (p. 56). I'm trying to draw lines that start

>> 0.25" from the left and extend 7.0" on US letter. The key lines are

>> flagged with #***. But on screen and on print the line starts some

>> 0.55" from the left and the line is only 6.55" long. What am I doing

>> wrong?

> Note that you can't tell anything from the screen. Windows has

> absolutely no idea how large your monitor is, so there is no way it can

> accurately render a physical inch. In point of fact, they don't even try.

Thanks. I didn't mean to imply that I held a ruler to my monitor. I was
judging dimensions by the distance to the edge of the on-screen page. The only
point being that it appears exactly the same as when printed.

Thanks,
Michael