[reportlab-users] Printing through Adobe Reader - shutdown

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Jan 4 15:29:08 EST 2007

Michael Hipp wrote:

> Resurrecting an old thread...

> Does anyone know if it's possible to redirect the printout to a different Win

> printer using the 'ie' method show below? As written it always goes to the

> default printer.

I believe you should be able to use printWithDialog to bring up the
normal print dialog. I do not think there is any way to give it a
specific printer through the ActiveX interface. It's hard enough to
request a specific printer when going straight to the Win32 API.

> <dreaming>

> I really wish there were a lightweight, robust, pythonistic way to print pdfs

> directly rather than using these hired henchmen. Anyone have any ideas?

> </dreaming>

Dreaming is right. Rendering a PDF is not a lightweight task. Remember
that PDF is essentially Postscript, and Postscript is a fully functional
programming language. A Postscript renderer is essentially a language
interpreter.

You can certainly embed GhostScript into your application. It
understands PDFs and would give you maximum control, but it won't be
lightweight.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.