[reportlab-users] Use With SQLite3

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Tue Feb 13 17:30:05 EST 2007

Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Carl Karsten wrote:

>> Have a look at http://dabodev.com - it has generic db access and a report

>> designer that feeds into reportlab. sounds like exactly what you are

>> looking for.

> Carl,

> Thank you. I've looked at Dabo, but prefer to write in wxPython itself. If

> the db access can be extracted, then that may be a solution.

Rich, FWIW Dabo is fairly modular, and in particular the report writer
doesn't need to feed from a Dabo cursor. You can just feed it a tuple of
dicts, where each element in the tuple is a record, and each item in the
dict is a field, the key being the field name and the value being the
field value.

You can use wxPython, sqlite, and Dabo's report writer together with no
trouble. You can hand-code your report definition files by hand, or you
can use the Dabo Report Designer to visually design them. It is just
easy-to-follow XML.

We found it a pleasure to wrap Reportlab for the Dabo Report Writer, as
it is a powerful, easy to use API. If you want the typical "Crystal
Reports" banded-type report with grouping, the detail band, etc., you
probably would benefit from the work we've put into the Dabo report
writer. Otherwise, you can use reportlab directly to achieve the same
ends or more general goals.

--
pkm ~ http://paulmcnett.com