[reportlab-users] Newbie Reportlab Tests questions

Lee Hulbert II pythorlh at nycap.rr.com
Thu Sep 28 22:08:23 EDT 2006

OK, I just installed reportlab on two computers.  Both are WinXP, and
I'm running python 2.4.  I had some errors in the tests, but most tests
passed.  I have some questions and observations about them, though.

First of all, on both machines, I don't have the .py extension set up to
automatically execute, so I have to explicitly call python at the
command line.  Also, the python directory is not in my path.  I mention
this because it is specifically the cause of the first question I have.
On my first machine, I went to the python 2.4 library, and typed "python
./reportlab/test/runall.py".  It ran, and reported three errors.  All
three boiled down to "IOError: Cannot open resource
"../docs/images/Edit_Prefs.gif""  Running from the python directory
makes tests 10, 7, and 8 fail.  I verified this on my second machine.
Since other tests had not problem with the directory either way, I was
wondering if this is considered a bug.

I figured out that issue, and ran it again, from the test directory.  In
this case, two tests failed, both having to do with pulling an image off
the website.  Neither of these failed the first time, so I don't know
why they did the second.  I'm not worried about those though.  My second
machine threw two "xml parser" errors that I haven't researched yet
either, in tests 0 and 1.

On both machines, the majority of tests passed.  Which is why I am
confused when I look at the resulting pdfs.  A couple of them have what
I consider to be mistakes.  Please let me know if these are known
problems, if I should put in a bug report, or if my expectations are wrong.

1:   In test_charts_textlabels.pdf, the text indicates that the
direction indicators(nsew) should be in their correct positions.  In my
pdfs, they are consistently backward.  n is the bottom, s is top, w is
right, e is left.

2:   In test_graphics_charts.pdf, several charts have issues.  All of
the "col" charts have what looks like setup code overlaid on them.

3:    In test_paragraps.pdf, the text "Courier 3cm" overlays several
lines of previous text.  Is this correct, or should it be justified down
into its own space?

Thanks,

Lee