[reportlab-users] KeepInFrame flowable

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon Sep 25 18:46:17 EDT 2006

Dinu Gherman wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking for test cases or sample code illustrating
> the use of the KeepInFrame flowable with Platypus. So far,
> I haven't found anything like that in reportlab/test or
> reportlab/docs. Maybe somebody could point me to it does
> exist?

A quick grep reveals some test examples in test_platypus_pto.py which
generate three files "test_platypus_KeepInFrame*.pdf".

However there's a much better explained RML test case which should show
the intended use:

http://developer.reportlab.com/rsrc/rml_examples/test_029_keepinframe.pdf

It's most useful in fact sheet layouts where you might have, say, five
locations ona page for specific chunks of content, and be want to sure
that the stuff destined for "leftColumn" really goes there.  When the
story encounters one of these, it skips to the named frame if not
already there, and ensures all content fits.    If there is too much
content it will overflow, shrink, truncate or raise an error.

Hope this helps,

- Andy