[reportlab-users] PDF Validator

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Sep 21 16:57:33 EDT 2006

Rob Schall wrote:
> Is this distiller a free download? Looking on adobe's site, and only
> finding updates to the program. Or is it part of a larger program?

No, it's the component in full Acrobat which turns Postscript to PDF.
(When you print, you are effectively exporting the PDF to postscript,
which most print drivers do, then converting it back again).

Trying to open the PDF in Acrobat for editing is probably as good - it
will warn you if it thinks the PDF file is incorrect.

Any free equivalent will not be from Adobe and therefore errors it
detects (or false positives) probably are not definitive and won't help
you win arguments with customers.

We've had your headache in the past too!

- Andy