[reportlab-users] Setting default encoding

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Sep 13 18:50:44 EDT 2006

Paul McNett wrote:

> Sounds reasonable. So you never need to encode/decode the unicode
> object we send? If you do need to encode/decode, how do you know the
> proper encoding to use?

As long as all incoming strings are either Unicode (UTF-16) or UTF-8,
there is no possibility for confusion.  It doesn't matter that the
string was originally in Cyrillic.  UTF-8 and UTF-16 can both represent
every Unicode codepoint, so no information is lost.

The problem with older versions is that the strings would come in as
8-bit Klingon-1, but there was no way to tell Reportlab that, so the
strings were rendered as garbage.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.