[reportlab-users] Newbie - platypus or not?

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Sep 7 16:36:40 EDT 2006

> Of course, as soon as you do this, you'll have to deal with someone who
> uses their middle name in all correspondance, or who insists on having
> their middle initial used, or needs the "Sr." or "Jr." suffix, etc.
> Names are a pain in the rear.

That's nothing. 10 years ago I worked for a company in Japan which had
allowed certain fussy customers to pick their own custom glyphs.  Yes,
the secretaries had actually got a glyph editor and implemented various
custom characters to faithfully mimic the pretentious-handwriting-swirls
for about 10% of the customers on the old PC system. And they got very
upset when these random code points came out as dots in the new
reporting system ;-)

More seriously, you might want to consider implementing the name as a
centered paragraph, with an algorithm which 'shrinks the font' and calls
'wrap' repeatedly until the name-paragraph fits.  That way people with
names like "Sir Ranulph Twistleton-Wykeham Fiennes OBE" will get what
the right info, albeit smaller.  "Shrink to fit" is a better situation
for extremes of data than "Traceback" or "Mess..."

- Andy