[reportlab-users] Using an OEM font

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Mon Oct 23 13:31:44 EDT 2006

Luc Saffre wrote:

>Thanks, Andy and Tim, your answers helped me to find a solution.
>
>It may be true that the system TrueType fonts Arial and Courier don't
>support Unicode, but they do know at least the OEM charset, including
>box characters.

I think you misunderstood me.  TrueType fonts, like Arial, Courier New,
and Times New Roman, DO support Unicode natively.  Unicode is built-in
to the spec.  It's the Postscript Type 1 fonts (like Helvetica and
Times-Roman) that do not, and Helvetica is what you get by default if
you do not specify a font.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.