[reportlab-users] Install problem with Reportlab 2.0

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Oct 6 14:04:42 EDT 2006

You are right. FWIW our official position is probably still that "we do not support distutils" - our documentation tells people to unzip the package and add to sys.path, and rl-accel is in theory "optional".

The setup.py was a result of several contributions by linux users over years and has no real "owner" here, and we have either tended to use prebuilt DLLs on Windows or to compile by hand on many servers.  We've ben trusting others that certain things are needed, instead of testing.

 I think we probably can improve this on the next release some time this quarter - with the arrival of VMWare it's a lot easier for us to test the installation on several standard Linux platforms, and we would like to offer setuptools and egg support.    But we'd have to add some other much bigger extensions too to make it simple for everyone.

- Andy