[reportlab-users] ZapfDingbats icon problem

Dave S report at pusspaws.net
Thu Nov 23 16:09:17 EST 2006

Hi all,

I have been playing around with reportlab for a while and built a couple of
apps that use it - the results are great - but I have hit a problem :(

I need to use some of the ZapfDingbats icons (at least a tick) and no matter
what I try I get square blocks - ie icon not found. I have read the docs and
played around a lot but no joy.

Here is my test code ...

#!/usr/bin/env python
# -*- coding: iso8859_1 -*-

from reportlab.lib.units import inch
from reportlab.lib.pagesizes import A4
import datetime, ConfigParser, os
from reportlab.pdfgen import canvas

from reportlab.pdfgen.canvas import Canvas
c = Canvas('temp.pdf')
c.setFont("ZapfDingbats", 20)
y = 700
for line in [u'\u0034 test']:
print line
uniLine = line
#uniLine = unicode(line, 'latin-1')
c.drawString(100, y, uniLine.strip())

c.save()

Can anyone point me in the right direction ? - I am not so used to unicode and
am struggling.

Many thanks in advance

Dave