[reportlab-users] Text scaling and finding out how much space text will take up

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 03:51:28 EST 2006

Hi there...

Background: I'm generating track listings for CDs for use in clubs so I
can have easy to read, consistent track lists. I used to do these by
hand using nested tables in an OOo document and manually "optimise" each
one so the columns (track no, artist, track, remixer) all lined up but
gave as much space as needed to each column, and chopping off any really
stupidly long artist or track names.

Now I'm trying to automate this ;-)

Is there any way in reportlab to find out how much space (in cm) a piece
of text is going to take up when rendered?

Also, is there any way to horizontally squash text by a % so that it
takes up less room when it's generated with a TTF font?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk