[reportlab-users] PDF size increase from 1.20 to 1.21 or 2.0?

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed May 24 12:01:35 EDT 2006

David M. Grimes wrote:
> All -
>
> I have been working with v1.20 for a while now and noticed that the document
> size jumps substantially in both 1.21 and 2.0, when embedding a TrueType font
> (about 14 glyphs actually referenced) in the document.
>
> Just wondered if something changed relative to TTF handling ... I'm going to
> re-run the tests using Type1 fonts to see if the growth exists (though with
> Type1 it is also large under 1.20).
>
> Thanks!
>
>  --Dave

I think this is related to the TTF space patch contributed by Marius Gedminas.
This is used to overcome a problem related to text splitting for these fonts
when more than one 256 glyph subset is used. In addition the first glyph subset
was prefilled which is why (I believe) you're getting an increase in doc size.
It should be possible to restore the old behavior for those that require it.

I'll have to think about the best way to do it. Are you using just pdfgen/canvas
or platypus/doctemplate?