[reportlab-users] Error: test_pdfgen_general.py

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue May 23 17:24:29 EDT 2006

> FAILED (errors=1)
>
> I'm on W2k SP4 and Python 2.4.2. I don't have PIL installed.
>
> Any help?

After inspecting the code I think it's that you don't have PIL
installed; everyone here has been using PIL for so long that we have
never thought to run the tests without it.  I just renamed my PIL
directory and get the same thing.

Sorry about this but it's a spurious test failure; you should have a lot
of other PDFs which did work.  And I recommend installing PIL as sooner
or later you will want to use a bitmap in a PDF.

If you don't want to install it, add the line below  "(w, h) = (144,
10)" after line 696 and the test should complete.

     for i in range(5):
         if haveImages:
             (w, h) = c.drawImage(gif, (1.5 + i)*inch, 3*inch)
         else:
             (w, h) = (144, 10)
             c.rect((1.5 + i)*inch, 3*inch, 110, 44)

I checked this change in.  With it, the test suite still generates some
failure messages but they all say clearly that PIL being missing is the
cause.

Best Regards,

Andy Robinson