[reportlab-users] Looking for a How-to to get me moving quickly

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri May 5 15:11:53 EDT 2006

Benn wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> As it just so happens, I just finished a fairly brief look at getting started
> with ReportLab, at:
>
>    http://www.magitech.org/2006/05/05/getting-started-with-reportlab/
>
> I'd tremendously appreciate any feedback, comments, or suggestions people
> might have!
> -G

Benn, this is great - many thanks indeed for writing this!  I'll link to
it from our own site on the next update.

It's particularly useful for those of us inside ReportLab to get
feedback on how others see the library at the beginning, and will
encourage us to fill a few gaps too.  I think I'll tweak the test runner
right away.

One thing I might suggest adding (and I am adding to our own docs) is a
brief reference to the Report Markup Language manual and tests....

   http://www.reportlab.com/docs/RML_UserGuide_1_0.pdf
   http://developer.reportlab.com/examples.html

The reason our documentation on PLATYPUS is so patchy is that it's the
engine for a commercial markup language which has a spec (DTD), much
better documentation, and test cases written to be read by humans.  When
time gets tight, RML gets documented and Platypus often doesn't.  In
most cases there is a VERY close correspondence between RML tags and the
corresponding classes and attributes, and it's way easier to really
understand Platypus by skimming the RML examples.   Most of our brains
are tuned to read markup languages by now anyway...

Keep up the great work, and we'll keep listening and maybe even pitch in
some content ourselves...

- Andy Robinson