[reportlab-users] < in Paragraph

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri May 5 13:16:29 EDT 2006

On Fri, 5 May 2006 08:55:26 +0200 "Harald Armin Massa"
<haraldarminmassa at gmail.com> wrote:

>importing the string-module is depreciated. Make sure that:
>
>1) val is a string
>2.) val=val.replace("<","&lt;")

Before I respond, I want to publicly acknowledge that I am a curmudgeon,
and that I care WAY TOO MUCH about spelling and grammar.  Indeed, the
reason I love ReportLab is that it lets me be incredibly precise about
presenting my words and ideas.  I'm posting only because this sentence
contains a common error, and it is usually impossible to tell whether it
was a simple typo or a misunderstanding.  I mean no disrespect, and in
all seriousness I am only trying to help make our communications as
clear as possible.  Please don't flame me; I get enough flames for
correcting spelling as it is.

There is only one letter difference between "depreciated" and
"deprecated", but the words mean two rather different things (and are
pronounced differently -- hard "c" vs soft "c").  When something is
"depreciated", it means it has lost value -- usually monetary value.  A
car depreciates over time.  When something is "deprecated", it means it
is discouraged, not recommended, frowned upon, or undesirable.  Old APIs
are deprecated when new ones come out.  Importing the string module is
deprecated.  Voting for Republicans is deprecated.  Whoops, did I say
that out loud?

And now, back to creating quality PDF files from Pythong...

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.