[reportlab-users] paragraph mark up in unicode reportlab release

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Mar 27 18:23:40 EST 2006

Tim Roberts wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 09:59:14 +0000, Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com>

> Granted that I'm chiming in at the end of a lengthy process, but
> wouldn't it have been better to have a table like this entirely Unicode,
> and use the Python codecs module to convert them to utf8 as needed?
> Each of those maps to a single Unicode code point, which is identical
> regardless of the final encoding.  It seems to me what you have is an
> opportunity for hard-to-find typos.

in the utf8 branch I think utf8 is appropriate. Unicode is inefficient
for most Western purposes, but the main problem with 16 bit unicode
encodings is that the underlying filesystems are unable to cope with 16
or 32 bit encodings of unicode. All of these encodings are equivalent,
but most don't work.