[reportlab-users] using renderPM with platypus

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Sun Mar 26 15:51:42 EST 2006

> internally we have already done this without using special widgets.
> Renderers already support the idea of canvases. An extension allows us
> to support most of the features needed for paragraphs, tables etc etc.
> The real problem lies in the special nature of the PDF canvas. It's
> unlikely that anyone would want to have multi page bitmaps or
> annotations or bookmarks etc etc.

Exactly.  For a major "version 3.0" rewrite I'd want to start by
defining a base canvas class with the drawing operations, and make sure
all output formats supported those well.  Then one could imagine a
multi-page subclass for those file formats where that makes sense, and
the PDF one inheriting from this.

- Andy