[reportlab-users] paragraph mark up in unicode reportlab release

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Sun Mar 26 04:59:14 EST 2006

will at phototropia.org wrote:
> Friends:
>      Is the reading of symbol characters still to use the same <greek>
> tags, and function in basically the same way?  That is, now there is
> a character map in paraparser.py that maps the letter between the
> greek tags to (I think) an html 4.0 decimal character reference, eg.
> 'A' maps to 913.  Will the new reportlab library expand on this
> internal chart for supporting more unicode characters, reference
> external charts, or have another method for representing characters
> in a text file than the <greek> tags?
>
> thanks,
>
> Will
yes eg in the utf8 branch we have

greeks = {
	'alefsym': '\xe2\x84\xb5',
	'Alpha': '\xce\x91',
	'alpha': '\xce\xb1',
	'and': '\xe2\x88\xa7',
	'ang': '\xe2\x88\xa0',
	'asymp': '\xe2\x89\x88',
	'Beta': '\xce\x92',
	'beta': '\xce\xb2',
	'bull': '\xe2\x80\xa2',
	'cap': '\xe2\x88\xa9',
	'Chi': '\xce\xa7',
	'chi': '\xcf\x87',
	'clubs': '\xe2\x99\xa3',
	'cong': '\xe2\x89\x85',
	'cup': '\xe2\x88\xaa',

the main problem is how to support the idea of escaping to another font
when we see a problem in the rendering phase.