[reportlab-users] simultaneous output of pdf and bmp possible ?

Sebastian Hilbert sebastian.hilbert at gmx.net
Wed Jun 21 17:44:13 EDT 2006

Hi !

We are using reportlab.pdfgen for medical forms in our free and open source
medical practice software GNUmed. I started to read up and took a good look
at the code. While at it some questions came to mind.

What we basically need for Germany and other countries with regards to forms
is ideally something like this. I know that it is not yet possible but I would
appreciate your comments.

1.) cross platform operation, Linux, Mac, Windows. Possible as far as I can
see since GNUmed is python, reportlab is python . We use wxpython for our gui

2.) at best we would appreciate true forms like adobe forms but their SDK is
not cross platform and closed source.

3.) reportlab can draw pretty much everything which is dots on a canvas. To
make is a forms solution (might not be intended) apart from the implentation
and keeping track of widget states (checkbox on/off) some sort of separation
between content and layout/widgets would be needed

4.) I noticed svg output from reportlab. Googling around I found some
information on svg and xforms as a means of active forms. Is there support
for this and do you have any ideas if this is cross platform ?

5.) I noticed bitmap output from reportlab. Is it possible to output bitmap
and pdf off the the same reportlab 'template' ? As far as I can see writing
code for the pdfgen module is not identical to writing code for the
svg/pdf/bitmap renderer ? Is that correct ?

Here is what I am tyring to solve. Draw and save a form as pdf
but 'convert' /save as bitmap as well. This bitmap object could then be
passed on to PIL for further manipulation or wxpython's printing framework
for printing. That is crossplatform processing I am dreaming of.

I hope someone is able to answer some of the questions.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany