[reportlab-users] Platypus Gives NameError on Import

Nicholas Urie halthecomputer at letterboxes.org
Wed Jun 14 13:14:40 EDT 2006

When I try to run any of the platypus examples in the user guide (p. 56
or p. 57), I get the following error:
> NameError: name '__loader__' is not defined
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>
> File "c:\Documents and Settings\Aardvark\My Documents\reportlab\testCase.py", line 1, in ?
>   from reportlab.lib.styles import getSampleStyleSheet
> File "c:\Documents and Settings\Aardvark\My Documents\reportlab\testCase.py", line 1, in ?
>   from reportlab.lib.styles import getSampleStyleSheet
> File "C:\Python24\reportlab\lib\styles.py", line 6, in ?
>   from reportlab.lib.colors import white, black
> File "C:\Python24\reportlab\lib\colors.py", line 8, in ?
>   from reportlab.lib.utils import fp_str
> File "C:\Python24\reportlab\lib\utils.py", line 147, in ?
>   _isFSD = not __loader__
testCase.py contains just one line:
from reportlab.lib.styles import getSampleStyleSheet

a similar NameError (__loader__ is not defined) is caused by the
one-line file:
from reportlab.platypus import SimpleDocTemplate, Paragraph, Spacer

but running either import command from an interactive python shell works
just fine. I'm running Python 2.4.3 and reportlab 2.0 on Windows XP.