[reportlab-users] Rendering different sizes on different viewers

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Jan 5 13:34:55 EST 2006

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 14:32:05 -0800, Paul McNett <p at ulmcnett.com> wrote:

>Well, I just discovered that in the Print dialog of Acrobat Reader (not the
>print setup dialog though) there is a default setting to scale down the document
>to fit inside the printer margins. If I set to no scaling, the document prints
>exactly to my spec (and other than slight font differences, it prints exactly
>like the gpdf version - cool!). However, I worry that normal users aren't going
>to be able to handle changing this default setting without whining.
>
>I suppose I could define "letter" size to be somewhat less than 8.5" x 11",
>which would keep Acrobat from wanting to rescale, but wouldn't the exact size
>depend on the printer in use?

Exactly.  You cannot successfully "guess" what the margins would be, so
there is no single answer.  Plus, if your program will ever be used in
Europe, where they're going to have A4 paper, your numbers will clearly
be wrong.

>Please tell me I'm missing something obvious, as
>it seems that having my document know what printer it will print on is just
>plain wrong...

I have not encountered an ideal solution to this.  For those
applications where I have to print on a pre-printed form, I just make
sure to instruct my clients to clear that checkbox.  That doesn't seem
unreasonable

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.