[reportlab-users] Rendering different sizes on different viewers

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Wed Jan 4 17:32:05 EST 2006

Paul McNett wrote:
> #1 and 2 use the same printer driver, all three use the same printer.
> Can someone tell me what is happening and my workaround options? I can
> probably standardize on Acrobat Reader but the fact that I specify a
> certain size but Acrobat is scaling it down is somewhat distressing to me.

Well, I just discovered that in the Print dialog of Acrobat Reader (not the
print setup dialog though) there is a default setting to scale down the document
to fit inside the printer margins. If I set to no scaling, the document prints
exactly to my spec (and other than slight font differences, it prints exactly
like the gpdf version - cool!). However, I worry that normal users aren't going
to be able to handle changing this default setting without whining.

I suppose I could define "letter" size to be somewhat less than 8.5" x 11",
which would keep Acrobat from wanting to rescale, but wouldn't the exact size
depend on the printer in use? Please tell me I'm missing something obvious, as
it seems that having my document know what printer it will print on is just
plain wrong...

--
Paul McNett
http://paulmcnett.com