[reportlab-users] better way?

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Jan 2 18:44:04 EST 2006

Tim Johnson wrote:
> I have pretty much the same issue.
> See my post:
> "Parsing PDF files"
>
> I am thus far pretty disappointed that there has been no response, and I
> hope that you get responses aside from my own.
>
> I have been thinking of something similarly to what we do with HTML
> documents with forms. We parse those documents into python data
> structures, which can then be edited, enchanced, used as front ends for
> databases, etc.
>
> To do something like this with reportlab and pdf would be wonderful.
>
> You're on the right track Richard, I hope there are more responses to
> your inquiry.
> tj

As has been mentioned many times on this list, ReportLab has a
proprietary product (http://www.reportlab.com/pagecatcher_index.html)
which captures existing PDF documents. I don't think it has specific
support for dynamic forms and it certainly doesn't produce python code,
but rather loadable python objects representing the document pages.