[reportlab-users] ReportLab 2.0

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon Feb 27 05:16:02 EST 2006

Christoph Zwerschke wrote:
> Are there any other major changes or improvements except Unicode support
> in 2.0?

Not deliberately, just an accumulation of minor changes and fixes since
the last release (which was almost a year ago), which will take us some
weeks to write down ;-)

The real challenge has been finding a path where we have time to release
this and retest the various projects which depend on the code.....I
would like to have 'no major changes except Unicode' for the 2.0, and
then do some additive improvements like speedups with C, Asian font
support and hyphenation in 2.1, 2.2 etc.

Once this is out and stable, we would then start on a much more
far-reaching version 3.0 where we rewrite a lot of components, and don't
have to worry about backwards compatibility at all.  But this is the
'second system' syndrome where a lot of projects go wrong, and it's
important to have the stable Unicode release out first.

Best Regards,

Andy Robinson