[reportlab-users] reportlab 2 xml parsing

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Sat Feb 11 17:39:37 EST 2006

will at phototropia.org wrote:
> Friends:
>      In upcoming releases of reportlab, will lib/xmllib, and
> platypus/paraparser remain intact?  That is, if I subclass
> ParaParser, and use its functions(getAttributes etc.) will their
> functionality/names be changed excessively in the near future?

I don't think we will change lib/xmllib.  Within our own commercial
product code we use pyRXP and a python wrapper (available in the pyRXP
distro), and will continue to rely on the tuple-trees built by that.

paraparser might get some changes shortly to do with the Unicode
"version 2.0"; I just checked in Unicode CID font support on the UTF8
branch, and we probably need to do something good with hyphenation
and "Japanese hyphenation" (kinsoku shori) this month, which might mean
making it easier to subclass the paragraph machinery and put in
paragraph hooks.  Also when we merge back in the UTF8 branch onto the
trunk, the way we handle things like greek letters will change to yield
the correct Unicode characters.   But the philosophy is "minimum
possible breakage, just proper Unicode/utf8..." so I see no plans to
change that "API".

- Andy